Sunday, June 24, 2012

place value games

I'm so excited to be going back to 2nd grade next year. Even though we're on summer break, I can't seem to stop thinking about next year. The best part about "working" during the summer is that it's on my own terms. I do it when I feel like it.

My state implemented the Common Core Standards last year ~ during my brief interlude back to 4th grade. So, going back to 2nd with a new set of standards is like starting all over again. Sort of. It seems to me a lot is still really the same.

While I've been cozying up with the standards and surfing the net, I came across a video on the Teaching Channel (nerdy, right?) about two place value games. The kids in the video seem to be having fun (while learning!), so I bet my kids will too.


I didn't find a link on the site for recording sheets, so I created my own. And guess what, I'm gonna play nice and share with you. Click on the picture to download.





There's a second page for the 101 and Out game so, when copied back to back, four games can be played. 

I'm planning on introducing the games as a whole group activity, like the teacher on the video, then including the games in centers/rotations.

      

No comments: